Mona Inn, Anglesey
An exciting luxury development…
An Early C19 coaching inn, built to serve travellers along the then newly constructed London to Holyhead road. The road between Shrewsbury and Holyhead had been surveyed by Thomas Telford in 1811, his scheme to build the new road accepted by Parliament in 1815, and work began on the Anglesey stretch in 1818. Mona Inn was built in connection with the construction of the road, and was the venue for the Anglesey Hunting Club meetings of 1822-3, but its success as an Inn was short-lived, possibly as an indirect result of the opening of the railway across the island in 1848 (the Britannia bridge opened in 1850); by 1851 Mona Inn had become Mona Farm. To the rear of the main house is a rectangular courtyard, leading through to a second courtyard beyond; neither range appears on the tithe map of the parish of 1842 (though this may have been an omission on the part of the surveyor), they are recorded on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map of Anglesey, 1887-8. The second courtyard is now derelict and some of the ranges converted into use as domestic dwellings. The main house and courtyard buildings were being renovated at the time of the survey (June 1998).
Telford’s Mona Coaching Inn, Servant Quarters and Stables The inn was built by Thomas Telford as part of the infrastructure of his new London-Holyhead road – the A5. It replaced the old coaching at Gwyndy SH3979 on the old Post Road. The building of the railway to Holyhead in the late 1840s took away much of its custom. The building on the left is the main inn building and those on the right the servant quarters and stables. Much work has been done of late to clear scrub from the ground in front of the buildings.
Email for more information: