Dunham House is an interesting building, situated in the Devisdale Conservation Area within the Bowden area of Trafford. The site is close to the early eighteenth century Dunham Massey Hall, and land in the area was sold for development from 1841 onwards. In 1897 the architect George Faulkner Armitage was employed to design a house for the silk manufacturer Edward Joynson on Charcoal Road and on the 1897 Ordnance Survey map it is shown as Park Lane House, just to the east of the north entrance to Dunham Massey Hall. The house is roughly square with a rectangular block at the north-west corner. On the north-east boundary there was a lodge, stable block and coach house. On the 1901 census and the 1907 Ordnance Survey map the house is shown as Dunham House, a change of name. In the 1901 census Joynson is listed as living with his wife, two children and six servants.
The house is designed in an Arts and Crafts style with neo-Jacobean detailing using red brick with terra-cotta details, high quality joinery and ironwork. In the late 20th century the house was converted into seven flats and the stable block replaced with a large garage and storage building.